Dear host family,
I’m a high school student in India. I will
come to Japan next month and stay with a Japanese family for two weeks. This
will be my first trip abroad. I’m worried about correct etiquette and manners.
I’d appreciate it if you could give me some advice.
Thanks,
Prisha from
Mumbai (Prisha is
a girl’s name)
Write your response to give two pieces
of advice in five sentences or more.
Hi Prisha,
返信削除Welcome to Japan!
In Japan, we take off our shoes in the home and when we enter the inside of the temples and shrines. Also, if you line up your shoes clean, people will think you are polite person. You shouldn’t forget to say “itadakimasu” before you start eating. If you start eating without saying the world, it will mean rude for food and people make dishes.
Good writing.
削除when we ... => a house, .... or ...
line up ... clean=> place your shoes neatly when ...,
are polite person=>
You shouldn't ...=> Also, you want to say ...
start eating a meal
If you start ...=> It is to show respect for ...
Tamaki
返信削除Hi Prisha,
Welcome to Japan!
In Japan, it’s inappropriate to talk in loud with people on the train or bus. People in Japan often use their smartphones or listen to music without speaking with others. Also, you should give the seat when elderly people stands in front of you on the train or bus. It is customary to take care of them in Japan. Most Japanese have a heart of respectful for others.
Good writing.
削除talk in loud=>
People in Japan ...=> do not ... when ...
elderly people stands=> an ...
take care of them<= them?
In Japan, it’s inappropriate to talk loudly with people on the train or bus. People in Japan usually don’t speak when they are on public transportation.
削除Also, you should give the seat when an elderly stands in front of you on the train or bus. It is customary to take care of elderly people in Japan. Most Japanese have a heart of respectful for others.
Hi Prisha,
返信削除Welcome to Japan!
In Japan, many people arrive at the meeting places on time. Many Japanese people are punctual. So you have to be careful about time.
Also, you should learn how to eat foods in Japan. I understand people in India eat foods with their hands. However, Japanese people usually use chopsticks instead of hands. I think this two piece of advise will help you.
Good suggestions.
削除arrive at=> come to
Many ... So you have ...=> You also want to ...
Japanese people=> we ... instead of ...=> or a fork, knife, or spoon.
this two piece=>
Hi Prisha,
削除Welcome to Japan!
In Japan, many people come to the meeting places on time. You also want to be careful about time because many people in Japan are punctual.
Also, you should learn how to eats foods in Japan. I understand people in India eat foods with their hands. However, we use chopsticks, fork, knife or spoon instead of hands. I think these two pieces of advises will help you.
Shizuka
返信削除Hi Prisha,
Welcome to Japan!
I give you two advice about eating culture.
First, many of Japanese eat dishes by using chopsticks. Maybe some restaurants only have chopsticks, so you should practice to use chopsticks or bring your cutlery.
But there are so many restaurants, you don’t need to be worried too much about. If you want to learn about Japanese culture, it’s good idea to learn how to use chopsticks.
Second, people make noise when slurp noodles such as ramen and soba. So don’t be surprised if you see it. If you don’t want to do, you don’t have to do it.
Good suggestions.
削除I give you=> I'd like to ...
two advice=>
eating culture=> eating manners in Japan
many of Japanese=> we usually with ...
But there are ...<= unnecessary
I you want to learn ...=> You may want to practice using ...
want to do what?
Hi Prisha, I'm glad to hear that you come to Japan! In Japan, when you have a meal, you should not eat food with your hand. Remember to eat food with fork, spoon, or chopsticks. Also, it is impolite to speak loudly or eat food on the train. Please be careful to be quiet in public spaces.
返信削除Good suggestions and writing!
削除with a ...
Please ...=> You may want to ...
Hi Prisha.
返信削除Welcome to Japan.
In Japan, we take off our shoes when we come home. You should bring slippers or room shoes if you want.
Also, people in Japan are quiet on trains and in public places. So, you shouldn't talk loudly on trains and in public places.
Good suggestions.
削除come home-> enter a house
So, you shouldn't ...=> what about using a phone?
Hi Prisha,
返信削除Welcome to Japan.
I have two pieces of advice for you.
First, it is polite to say “Itadakimasu” before eating and “Gochisousama” after eating. These are simple Japanese phrases that show respect.
Second, please remember to take off your shoes when you enter the house. We wear slippers or socks inside, and it is an important custom in Japan.
I’m looking forward to meeting you.
Good suggestions.
削除eating what?
respect to whom or for what?
the house=>
We ..., and it is ...=> It is customary to ...