“Living in Tokyo”
My name is Sam Johnson. I'm a citizen of New Zealand, but I live in
Tokyo. I came here two years ago from Auckland. In Japan, there were many
opportunities for New Zealanders to teach English and business. I have a
business degree from the University of Auckland. I teach English for
international business at a large Japanese university in Tokyo. I really like
my job. My students work hard. I usually teach 20 hours a week. I also plan
lessons and grade tests. I don't work during the summer. I usually go back to
New Zealand to visit my family in Auckland. I also like to travel in Asia. I
went to Thailand last year.
There were many problems for me in Japan at first. I was always lonely
because my family and friends were in New Zealand. The Japanese language was
hard for me. The winters here are cold and cloudy. In my first year here, there
was a lot of snow. In Auckland, the winters are cool, not cold. Also, Tokyo is
always crowded. The population of Tokyo is about 13 million people. There are
just too many people. I don't like to take the trains in Tokyo in the summer.
They're very hot!
After two years, I have several close Japanese friends. I also know many
people in my neighborhood. The people in the local markets are very friendly.
Now I feel welcome. I can speak Japanese fairly well, but my listening is still
weak. I can read some signs in train stations and menus in restaurants. I still
don't like Japanese winters and summers, but spring and fall are beautiful. I
travel all over Japan. I often go to Kyoto, the old capital. I have one really
close Japanese friend. His name is Aki. He is a lawyer for a big company. We go
hiking in the mountains on weekends. He is helping me to read and understand
Japanese. I feel much better about living in Japan now. I want to live here for
a long time.
Plan Study the
model writing
- 2nd
Paragraph: Write your advice in three to five sentences.
- 3rd
Paragraph: Write another advice in three to five sentences.
-
Last Paragraph: Conclude your email to encourage and cheer him up in two or
three sentences.
Dear Sam,
1st Paragraph: Introduction in two or three sentences. State the main point
clearly.
I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying your life here in
Japan and want to spend some more years. So, I’d like to give you a piece of
advice that may make your staying even more exciting and memorable. I recommend you to travel to
Hokkaido.
2nd
Paragraph: Write your advice in three to five
sentences.
As
you know, Hokkaido is the northernmost island. It is a big island in our scale
but there aren’t so many people or businesses in most part of the island.
Therefore, the nature is well preserved,
such as mountains, lakes, forests, sea shores and wild animals. <= In winter, it is cold and icy but
you can enjoy skiing in the world class ski resorts. In summer, you can travel
anywhere by train, bus, bike or even hitch-hiking. There are a lot to see in
any part of the island.
3rd Paragraph: Write another advice in three to five sentences.
Also,
they offer excellent local tastes
such as ramen noodles and seafood. <=
Ramen noodles in Sapporo, the capital of the prefecture, are so popular that
almost all the visitors there try it. Its unique miso-based soup is usually
thick and rich. There is a popular place called Ramen Yokocho where numbers of
ramen restaurants offer different types and tastes of ramen noodles. Also, you
can easily imagine how fresh the seafood there is. The most popular seafood
there is salmon. There are several kinds of salmon dishes and they are all
good. But I would suggest you should try Ishikari-nabe. It’s a hotpot dish made
with salmon and vegetables in miso based soup. It’s not only tasty but also
keeps you warm even in the severe winter there.
Last Paragraph: Conclude your email to encourage and cheer him up in two or
three sentences.
Sam,
I believe Hokkaido offers most
memorable experiences for you. It may even remind you the sceneries and
nature of your country. I hope a trip to Hokkaido will make your life in Japan
even more enjoyable.
Best
regards,
TK
☆ Try These! Use there is/are, singular/plural and/but correctly
- suggest –ing: I suggest you (should) visit/see/try
- explain ~/sth to sb/about
- recommend ~/sb to do, recommend ~ (to you), ~ is (highly) recommended
- explain ~ / about / sth to sb
- tell sb sth, talk about,
- give advice on ~, a piece of advice
- ~ is worth –ing
- try –ing
- don’t forget to/remember to
I’m glad to hear that you feel much better about living in Japan. By the way, how did you spend your New Year in New Zealand, Johnson? I’ll introduce you about Hatsumoude to spend better time in Japan.
返信削除I’m sorry if you have known Hatsumoude already. It is one of the most famous Japanese culture in New year. Almost of Japanese visit a temple or a shrine to spend great time in the year. I’ll write how to do Hatsumoude.
First, you wash your hands with water in the temple or shrine. Then you go infront of god and pray something you want to do in a year. These are things what you do in Hatsumoude. If you want,you can draw “Omikuzi’’ which is a paper written about your fotune.
I hope you have interest about Hatsumoude. If you have interest about it, please try it next year.
Best Regards,
Homma Yoshiaki
Very well organized and written.
削除Bue when in particular you do it?
What do many people wear?
=> most popular Japanese cultural events
Almost of Japanese=>
have interest about=> are interested in
If you have interest<= unnecessary because it's already said.
It is one of the most popular Japanese cultural events in New Year.
削除Most of the Japanese visit a temple or shrine to wish to spend great time in the year.
I hope you are interested in about Hatsumoude.
I reccomend you to try it next New Year’s day.
Hello, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the stay in Japan. I suggest you to visit Kichijoji.
返信削除There are many kinds of stores there which was in crowded place like Shibuya or Shinjyuku.
If you don't like crowded place, I recommend you to visit there. And we can eat famous and popular foods among our generation with out have long line.
Also, there are the place where we can feel like Japanese. There are Inokashira park which is planted beutifull cherry blossoms and we can see Japanese animals like Nipponn-dsuru. Also,there are cafe where we can drink or eat Japanese thinkg like green tea, annmitsu and so on.
Sam, I hope you'll enjoy your life more with visiting Kichijoji. I think there are not so crowded place than like Shibuya, but there are many good place which I was recoomend you.
Enjoy your staying Japan.
Best Regards, Shiho Okamoto
Use "you" not "we."
削除Too many grammatical errors.
suggest you to ...=>
stores which was crowded place=> ... stores and very crowded like ...
don't like ..., I recommend ...<=?????
And we can ...=> you can ...
there are the place=> It's a kind of place where you ...
there are cafe=>
I think there are not so crowded =>
I suggest visiting Kichijoji.
削除There are many kinds of stores and very crowded like Shibuya or Shinjyuku.
Kichijoji isn't so crowded place than Shibuya or Shinjyuku, so I recommend to visit there.
Dear Sam,
返信削除Thank you for your e-mail to me and I am glad to read it! I want you to know more good points in Japan. So, I suggest you should visit Okinawa.
I know you do not like summer because it is hotter than any other seasens. However, Okinawa has the most beautiful sea in Japan because the sea is very clearly and if you can swim, you may see tatols and swim dolphin togther. Okinawa has also many foods that you did not eat such as Chinsukou and Goyachanpulu and so on.
I also recommend you to see chely blosams in supring seasen. They open their flowers only spring seasen but they are so beautiful. chely blosam is Japanese sinble, too. So if you wnat to see them, you should watch alound Kokyo on the bort at night. That is very nice.
I recommned two points but Japan has a lot of interesting and beautiful spots in it. So, I wnat you to visit not only Kyoto but also any other places! You can enjoy Janpan more!
Best regards,
Kanata
Well organized but too many spelling errors.
削除because the sea is very clearly=>
tatols=>
foods that you didn't eat=> you might not have tried
chely blosams=>
open their flowers=> bloom flowers
sinble=>
alound Kokyo=>
Dear Sam
返信削除I'm grad to hear that you looks so happy everyday.
I recommend you to have a pet.
According to your e-mail, you were told me about some problems.
At first, you are always lonely because your family lives in distant place.
So you should have a pet.
For example, If you have a pet, no matter you are tired for your job and your feel lonely, your pet is healed you.
Also I think pet will be a member of your family, so I wish you wouldn't feel lonely.
If you accept my advice and have a pet, I suggest that you should choose a dog of your pet.
There are two reason.
First, pet dogs are tame to owner and they are understanding owner's feeling.